ADVANCING WOMEN IN PEACE AND SECURITY
FROM PROMISE TO ACTION
Overcoming gender bias has been increasingly important to counter ongoing threats to national and international security. The article centres on the institutional framework that exists for the participation of women in peace and security at the United Nations and NATO levels. It expands to the success story of women’s inclusiveness in the Jordanian armed forces, as well as to the challenges of health security and concludes with a set of concrete policy recommendations.
• Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action - The Fourth World Conference on Women, 4-15 September 1995, Accessed at: https://www.un.org/en/events/pastevents/pdfs/Beijing_Declaration_and_Platform_for_Action.pdf.
• Claire Duncanson, Gender and Peacebuilding, Cambridge, UK: Polity Press, 2016
• Catherine Warrick, Law in the Service of Legitimacy: Gender and Politics in Jordan. Ashgate Publishing Limited: Britain. 2009
• Dalia Ghanem and Dina Arakji, Women in the Arab Armed Forces, Carnegie Middle East Center and Lebanese American University, 2020, Accessed at: https://carnegieendowment.org/files/Women_in_Arab_Armies-final_report_English.pdf
• David Smith and Rosenstein Judith, “Gender and the military profession: Early career influences, attitudes, and intentions.” Armed Forces & Society Journal, 43(2), 260- 279, 2017.
• Georgina Waylen, Karenj Celis, Johanna Kantola and S. laurel Weldon (Editors), The Oxford Handbook of Gender and Politics, Oxford University Press, 2013
• Georg Frenks, Annelou Ypeij and Reinhilde Konig (Editors), Gender and Conflict: Embodiments, Discourses and Symbolic Practices, Farham, UK: Ashgate, 2014
• Implementation of the UNSCR 1325 on Women, Peace and Security in the Arab States, 10 December 2015, Accessed at: http://iknowpolitics.org/en/discuss/e-discussions/implementation-unscr-1325-women-peace-and-security-arab-states
• Joan Johnson-Freese, Women, Peace and Security: An Introduction, Routledge, London, 2018
• Jordan’s National Employment Strategy 2011-2020. Accessed at: http://inform.gov.jo/en-us/By-Date/Report-Details/ArticleId/36/National-Employment-Strategy
• Katherine Maffey and David Smith, “Women’s Participation in the Jordanian Military and Police: An Exploration of Perceptions and Aspirations”, Armed Forces & Society Journal, 46(1), pp 46-67, 2020
• Natalie Florea Hudson, Gender, Human Security and the United Nations: Security Language as a Political Framework for Women, Routledge Publications, 2012
• “National Security Policy Making and Gender”, Geneva Center for the Democratic Control of the Armed Forces, Practice Note 7, Geneva, 2008
• Laura J. Shepherd, Narrating the Women, Peace and Security Agenda: Logics of Global Governnace, Oxford Studies in Gender and International Relations, 2021
• Laura Sjoberg, Gender, and International Security: Feminist Perspectives, Abingdon, UK: Routledge, 2010
• NATO National Report: Jordan Armed Forces 2006, Accessed at: http://www.nato.int/ims/2006/win/pdf/jordan_brief.pdf
• Rana Husseini. Role of Jordanian Women in Peacekeeping Missions Lauded. 23 May 2016. Accessed at: http://www.jordantimes.com/news/local/role-jordanian-women-peacekeeping-missions-lauded
• Sara E. Davies and Jacqui True, The Oxford Handbook of Women, Peace, and Security, (Oxford Handbooks), 2018
• Synthesis Report: A National Dialogue on UNSCR 1325 Women, Peace, and Security in Jordan: A Resolution in Action. UN Women. 2016. Accessed at: http://jordan.unwomen.org/en/digital-library/publications/8/a-national-dialogue-on-unscr-1325-women-peace-and-security-in-jordan-a-resolution-in-action
• Titan M. Alon Matthias Doepke Jane Olmstead-Rumsey Michèle Tertilt, The Impact of Covid-19 on Gender Equality, National Bureau of Economic Research, April 2020. Accessed at: https://www.genderportal.eu/sites/default/files/resource_pool/ w26947.pdf
• Policy Brief: The Impact of COVID-19 on Women, United Nations, 9 April 2020. Accessed at: https://www.un.org/ sexualviolenceinconflict/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/report/policy-brief-the-impact-of-covid-19-on-women/policybrief-the-impact-of-covid-19-on-women-en-1.pdf.
• Women, Peace and Transforming Security, Office of the NATO Secretary General’s Special Representative for Women, Peace and Security, NATO, 31 October 2020
• Women on the Frontlines of Peace and Security, National Defense University Press, Accessed at: https://ndupress.ndu.edu/ Portals/68/Documents/Books/women-on-the-frontlines.pdf
© 2020 Security Science Journal. All rights reserved